Skin Piercing (Acupuncture, Tattooing, Cosmetic Piercing & Electrolysis)

Licence summary

Anyone wishing to carry out "skin piercing" - specifically acupuncture, tattooing, cosmetic piercing, semi-permanent skin colouring or electrolysis - has to register with us. The Law changed in 2005 and we can now register "body piercing" and semi-permanent makeup.

We have to register both the premises where the piercing is to be done, and each person who wants to perform the piercing.

Practitioners must comply with our Byelaws.

We check that premises and equipment are suitable, and that good hygiene is followed and sensible after-care instructions are given so as to minimise the health risks to customers.

Please phone us to check if a practitioner or premise is registered, or if you want to apply yourself.

The law specifically requires parents' permission before any "minor" can be tattooed. There is no such protection for children wanting fashionable "body piercing."

Eligibility Criteria

Applications must include any specific information required by the local authority.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within ten days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply by post Download an application form, return it to us at the address below, with the application fee (cheque payable to Wychavon District Council)
Apply online

On line facilities available through the national Business Link website.

Apply online to carry out acupuncture, tattooing, piercing and/or electrolysis

Apply to change an existing registration

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

If you have been pierced and continue to suffer pain or swelling, you must go to your Doctor for medical advice.

Trade Associations

British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC)

British Association of Skin Camouflage

British Institute and Association of Electrolysis

Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists

Anyone suffering nuisance due to noise, smells or similar because of a commercial premises should contact the Community Protection team (email, phone 01386 565015).

Grant of a licence doesn't mean that planning permission has been given: consent under town and country planning law may still be required.

Please contact our Planning Services on 01386 565565.

Further Information

General Customer Enquiries


Tel: 01905 822799

Fax: 01905-617132

WRS external logo