Club Premises Certificates

Licence summary

Club Premises Certificates are licences which authorise qualifying clubs to use club premises for "qualifying club activities" which are:

  • the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a member for consumption on the premises
  • the sale by retail of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a guest of a member for consumption on the premises, and
  • the provision of regulated entertainment by or on behalf of a club for its members and guests.

The Licensing Act 2003 requires any sale or supply of alcohol and/ or licensable activities in clubs to be authorised, by way of a Club Premises Certificate.  Un-authorised activities may result in a significant fine, and imprisonment.

We issue Club Premises Certificates for qualifying clubs, established in the Wychavon area.

Eligibility Criteria

Definition of a Qualifying Club

There must be an interval of at least two days between a member's nomination /application for membership and their admission.  There must be at least 25 members, and we will confirm whether clubs are established and conducted in ‘good faith'.

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with. These conditions are:

  • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members,
  • that no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club,
  • that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done under the control of the members or a committee of members.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

A qualifying club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes.

Applications should be made to the local licensing authority, which will be the local authority where the premises are situated.

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises which must be in a specific format, a copy of the Rules of the Club and a club operating schedule.

A club operating schedule is a document which must be in a specific format and which includes information on:

  • the activities of the club,
  • the times the activities are to take place,
  • other opening times,
  • if alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises, or both,
  • the steps that the club propose to take to promote the licensing objectives, and 
  • any other information that is required.

If there any alterations to the rules or name of the club, or to the registered address of the club, the club secretary must give details to the local licensing authority. If a certificate is in place this must be returned to the licensing authority for amendment.

A club may apply to a local licensing authority to vary a Club Premises Certificate. The certificate should accompany the application.

The local licensing authority may inspect the premises before an application is considered.

Fees are set by Government, and are payable for any type of application relating to a club premises certificate. 

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period (90 days).  You can contact us online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or phone us on 01527 881395 or email

Apply online

Online facilities are now available through the national "Business Link" website:

Apply through Business Link for a club premises certificate in Wychavon

Apply through Business Link for a minor variation to an existing club premises certificate 

Tell us through Business Link about a change to club details or club rules

Tell us through Business Link about a change to an existing club premises

Make annual maintenance payment through Business Link for a club premises certificate

NB online payments for existing certificates can be made on Wychavon's home page: enter the certificate number as reference e.g. 1840\CL\20xx-xxx

Apply by Post

Download forms from here (scroll down to Club Premises. Note for new application the "declaration" must also be completed).

Some useful information may be found in our factsheet.


For more information about making an application or varying an existing certificate please visit our Licensing Act 2003 page: you will find a factsheet and links to download application forms (or you can use the online facilities available on this page).  Please print downloaded forms, fill them in and return with the correct fee and accompanying documents specified in the notes.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

A failed applicant will receive notice of the refusal of an application for a certificate or variation of a certificate from the local licensing authority.

If an application is rejected, the applicant may appeal the decision: Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

If a local licensing authority refuses an application for a variation the licence holder may appeal the decision. A licence holder can appeal against a decision to put conditions on a certificate or to exclude any club activity. Appeals may also be made against the variation of any condition.

Appeals against the decision of a review can be made.

A club may appeal against the withdrawing of a certificate.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

A club member may request a review of the certificate. The local licensing authority will give reasons for their response to the application in a notice.

Appeals against the decision of a review can be made.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Other Redress

Anyone suffering nuisance due to noise, smells or similar because of a commercial premises should contact the Environmental Protection team to see if we can help (email, phone 01527 881395).

Any interested party may make representations to the local licensing authority before a Club Premises Certificate is granted or before amendments to such a certificate are granted. If relevant representations are made during the consultation period, and not withdrawn, a hearing will be held to determine the application in the light of the relevant representations, the Secretary of State's Formal Guidance, the Licensing Act 2003 and our statement of licensing policy.  Objectors (or their representatives) are expected to attend the hearing. 

After a hearing, we will write to all parties, detailing our decision and the reason for it.

An interested party is:

  • a person living in the vicinity of the premises, or 
  • a person involved in a business in the vicinity of the premises

At any time after a Club Premises Certificate has been granted, an interested party may ask the Licensing Authority to "Review" the club premises certificate. If the request is accepted, a review hearing will result at which all parties present evidence, and the Authority can take a range of actions ranging from no action, to removal or all or part of the Club's authorisation, or imposition of conditions.  The local licensing authority will give reasons for their response to the application in a notice.

An interested party may appeal if they argue that a certificate should not have been granted or that different or additional conditions or limitations on activities should have been made. They may also appeal against any variation of a condition.

Appeals against the decision of a Review can also be made.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Trade Associations

Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)


Further Information

All Licensing and Environmental Health Matters are now dealt with by Worcestershire Regulatory Services.

For direct public enquiries and referrals:

General Customer Enquiries

Telephone: 01905 822799


Fax: 01905-617132

WRS external logo