We have 64 conservation areas within Wychavon. These are areas of special architectural and historic interest that we wish to preserve or enhance, usually the historic parts of towns and villages.
Proposals for development within a Conservation Area will be assessed to ensure that they will either preserve or enhance the character or appearance (or 'significance') of an area. Proposals will be determined against policies contained in the Adopted Wychavon District Local Plan, in particular policy ENV12.
Regard will also be had to national guidance contained in the NPPF.
Properties in some conservation areas are protected by Article 4(2) Directions. This means that at these properties planning permission is needed for works that could otherwise be done without permission, so that the character and appearance of the conservation area will be preserved. The works brought under planning control are usually new, and alterations to existing, doors and windows, and in some cases other works such as change of roofing materials, removal of boundaries and laying of hardstanding.
The Heritage Team
- advises on development proposals in conservation areas
- designates and reviews conservation area boundaries
- prepares and publishes conservation area character appraisals to explain the special interest of the conservation areas
- we offer pre-application advice to potential applicants on the likelihood of getting permission for development in a conservation area, Guidance on Pre-application Advice and
- are consulted on planning and conservation area consent applications to advise on the appropriateness of development proposals in conservation areas
- Please complete the Pre-application form only if what you are proposing is to carry out internal works or repair works to the property that doesn't require separate planning permission.
Conservation Area Review
We are committed to a programme of review of all the conservation areas in Wychavon. In consultation with local residents we are
- reviewing conservation area boundaries to take make sure they continue to be relevant to the present day
- carrying out conservation area character appraisals to explain the special interest of each of the conservation areas
- considering the introduction of extra planning controls to preserve the special character of our conservation areas
For further information contact
Planning Support Officers 01386 565565
- Planning Application Forms, Fees, and Checklists
- Conservation Areas - Guide for Owners and Occupiers
- Find out if a property is in a Conservation Area or has Article 4(2) Direction
Conservation Area Character Appraisals -
- Abbots Morton
- Ashton under Hill
- Bredons Norton
- Broad Marston
- Broadway (part 1)
- Broadway (part 2)
- Cleeve Prior
- Evesham (part 1)
- North and Middle Littleton
North and Middle Littleton (new Boundaries)
- Pershore (part 1)
- Upton Warren
- Accessible Historic Environment - Supplementary Planning Document
- Listed Buildings - a Guide for Owners and Occupiers
- English Heritage