House to House Collections

Our aim is to ensure that charitable collections are lawful, and that monies raised are likely to reach the stated destination. The process can include checks into the suitability of the organiser, and verification of financial accounts.

Charities should note that there is no fee.

Some national charities are do not need to apply for a permit, but they still have to tell us when they intend to collect in our area.

Licence summary

A local authority permit is needed if you want to carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes in England and Wales.

"Charitable purpose" means any charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purpose, whether or not the purpose is charitable within the meaning of any rule of law; "collection" means an appeal to the public, made by means of visits from house to house, to give, whether for consideration or not, money or other property, and "collector" means, in relation to a collection, a person who makes the appeal in the course of such visits as aforesaid, and "house" includes a place of business.

Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be in the form prescribed by the local authority or via an online application form.

You must be a fit and proper person.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

We issue permits enabling charities to collect goods or money from door to door.  We can NOT issue permits where there is commercial profit.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Application can be made online, through the national "business link" portal.

Apply through Business Link to run a charitable collection

Notify us via Business Link of the result of a charitable collection (financial return)

Failed Application Redress Please telephone or email us to ask for application or financial return forms, or download and print one yourself. Return your completed form to us at the Licensing Unit, Wychavon District Council, Civic Centre, Pershore, WR10 1PT.
Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

You have the right to appeal against refusal to grant a permit, to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.

Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal.

Consumer Complaint

Please phone or email us if you want to check that a house to house collection is genuine.

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

Trade Associations



Further Information

All Licensing and Environmental Health Matters are now dealt with by Worcestershire Regulatory Services.

For direct public enquiries and referrals:

General Customer Enquiries

Telephone: 01905 822799

(Mon—Fri 8am—8pm, Sat 9am—5pm)


Fax: 01905-617132

Worcestershire Regulatory Services