Our Intelligently Green Awards celebrate local green projects, activities and lifestyles that also benefit the community or save money. Nominations closed on 22 April and we're currently judging the entries. We'll publish the short-listed nominees here soon.
To mark the launch of the awards we invited residents to wear a green heart and show their love for the environment. Find out more here.
The five award categories are:
- individual and household - sponsored by imaGine
- small businesses - sponsored by JellyPickleJam and The Evesham Greengrocer
- larger businesses and public sector organisations - sponsored by Areca Design
- community groups - sponsored by Hayloft Plants
- schools and colleges - sponsored by University of Worcester
Nominations must be for projects and activities that took place in the Wychavon district between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2016 or lifestyles covered by that period. Entries must contribute to one or more Intelligently Green Plan themes - energy, construction, transport, food, tourism and green space.
What is Intelligently Green?
The awards ceremony
The event will be hosted by impressionist and actor Alistair McGowan. Evesham born Alistair is an ambassador to WWF-UK, part of the global World Wide Fund for Nature, and campaigns on a number of environmental issues.
He is best known for BBC One's, BAFTA-winning The Big Impression; his take-offs of David Beckham, Dot Cotton, Richard Madeley and Gary Lineker became legendary. He recently played the title role in Jonathan Maitland's play, An Audience With Jimmy Savile at The Park Theatre in London. His performance received universally rave reviews.
He has worked extensively in theatre throughout his career including appearances in the West End in Art, The Mikado, Pygmalion and Little Shop of Horrors. He has also featured on Who Do You Think You Are, hosted Have I Got News For You and appeared on Live At The Apollo and countless other TV shows in a 25-year career.
What the judges are looking for
The judges are looking for:
- Evidence that projects and activities have made a significant contribution to one or more of the four Intelligently Green Plan themes (energy, construction, transport and food, tourism and green space).
- A clear demonstration of both the environmental and community or financial benefits.
- Innovation, creativity and how nominees are using their project or activities to promote greener practices to other people.
Click here to find out about previous winners.