Rural Rate Relief
Businesses in a Rural Settlement could qualify for Mandatory and Discretionary Rural Rate Relief on their Non Domestic Rates bill.
A Rural Settlement is a defined area with a population of less than 3000.
To qualify for Mandatory Relief, the business premises must be the only Post Office, general store, public house or petrol filling station in the rural settlement. Food shops may also qualify for relief and do not need to be the only food shop in the rural settlement. See below for more details.
In addition to Mandatory Relief for those businesses mentioned above, we are able to grant Discretionary Relief. Other types of businesses in a rural settlement may also qualify for just the Discretionary Relief. In all cases, the business must be used for purposes which are of benefit to the local community. See below for more details.
- Mandatory Rural Rate Relief
To qualify for 50% Mandatory Rural Rate Relief, your business premises must:
- be within the boundaries of a qualifying rural settlement.
- have a rateable value of not more than £8,500 in the case of a Post Office, general store or food shop.
- have a rateable value of not more than £12,500 in the case of a public house or petrol filling station.
- be used in whole or in part, as a general store, Post Office or both, or as a public house, food shop or petrol filling station.
- be either the only general store, the only Post Office, the only public house or the only petrol filling station in the rural settlement.
Please note: it is possible for both a general store and a Post Office in the same rural settlement to qualify for Mandatory Rural Rate Relief.
Please note: if you do not qualify for Mandatory Relief, you may still qualify for Discretionary Relief. It is also possible for certain qualifying businesses to receive both Mandatory and Discretionary Rural Rate Relief, contact us for further details.
- Discretionary Rural Rate Relief
We may grant up to an additional 50% relief to any general store,food shop, Post Office, public house or petrol filling station which qualifies for the Mandatory Rural Rate Relief.
Other types of business can also apply for Discretionary Rural Rate Relief of 50% provided that it:
- is within the boundaries of a qualifying rural settlement.
- has a rateable value of less than £16,500.
- is used for purposes which are of benefit to the local community, and
- is reasonable for us to make such a decision having regard to the interests of persons liable to pay Council Tax set by it.
To download an application form click on one of the links below.
If you would like more information please contact us.
Dont forget: if you move into, out of, or within Wychavon you need to let us know as this will affect your bill. Please contact us with the details.