Street Trading Licence/ Consent

Licence summary

If you trade in the street you may require a street trading consent. 

Applications should be made in writing (including by electronic means) to the district council for the area you wish to trade.

You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.

We adopted the law allowing control of street trading in Wychavon district on 22 June 1990.  All streets that at that time comprised the towns of Droitwich, Evesham, Pershore and the Parish of Broadway were named as "consent" streets. Traders cannot operate on those named streets without first obtaining consent from us.  There are also some "prohibited streets" where traders may not operate.

Street trading means the sale of goods or articles, including food, from persons on foot or from vehicles or stalls in the street.  Non-chartered markets are included.

Although the Law allows councils to adopt provisions for both street trading licences and street trading consents, we only deal with consents.  This allows us to foster trade and commerce in the District whilst retaining control by the giving or withholding of consent.  There are no "licensed pitches" and there is nothing to stop more than one consent being given for one road.

We can pass resolutions prohibiting street trading - this has been done for Broadway Road, Longdon Hill and the whole of the Evesham by-pass. Prohibitions are used to prevent highway obstruction and can reduce likely occurrence of nuisance in streets around late night venues.

There is no right of appeal against our refusal to grant a street trading consent.

Eligibility Criteria

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a consent.

Consents will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:

  • there isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
  • you are unsuitable to hold a licence do to any previous convictions or for other reasons
  • you have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence
  • there are established traders in the locality selling similar articles 
Regulation Summary

Read the legislation controlling street trading

Application Evaluation Process

We will consult with the relevant town or parish council and the Police and Highways department before deciding whether or not to allow you to trade.

We will take into account the following matters when reaching our decision:

  1. Responses from Consultees (relevant town or parish council and the Police and Highways department and other interested parties).
  2. The proposed siting and design of the street trading vehicle/stall etc and whether it enhances the vitality of the shopping area within the immediate vicinity.
  3. Any potential obstruction to the free flow of pedestrians or of vehicles in the street, with special regard for the visually impaired.
  4. Road safety, either arising from the siting of the street trading vehicle/ stall or as a result of customers visiting or leaving the vicinity, including existing traffic orders and waiting restrictions.
  5. The nature of the proposed goods to be traded and whether this will create conflict with the trade of adjacent, established shops.
  6. Whether the proposed siting of the street trading vehicle/stall etc obstructs the frontage of adjacent established shops.
  7. The numbers, distribution and location of existing street trading consents.
  8. The likelihood of excessive noise, odour and litter being generated.
  9. Whether the proposal would conflict with any other policies of the Council.
 Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 90 days.

If you have not heard from us within ten days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

On line facilities are provided by the national Business Link portal:

Apply through Business Link Portal for consent to trade on a street in Wychavon

Tell us through Business Link Portal about a change to an existing street trading consent

Apply by Post Download forms and factsheets from here
Failed Application Redress

Please contact us email or phone on 01905 822799.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us or phone on 01905 822799.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Anyone suffering nuisance due to noise, smells or similar because of a street trader should contact Worcestershire Regulatory Services (email , phone 01905 822799).

Trade Associations



Further Information

All Licensing and Environmental Health Matters are now dealt with by Worcestershire Regulatory Services.

For direct public enquiries and referrals:

General Customer Enquiries

Telephone: 01905 822799


Fax: 01905-617132

Worcestershire regulatory Services