Help with your rent
Following the introduction of Universal Credit to our area in 2018 it is now the case that if you are renting your home and on a low income and need to make a new claim for help with your rent, you will now likely be required to make a new claim for Housing Costs through Universal Credit.
You can only claim Housing Benefit through your local authority if any of these apply:
- You are single and have reached State Pension Age.
- You are in a partnership and you have both reached State Pension Age.
- You are in Council placed emergency housing or certain types of exempt or specified accommodation.
If this list does not apply to you then you will need to make a claim for your housing costs through Universal Credit. Please follow the links below to find out more and make a new claim online.
Help with your Council Tax
Council Tax Support can cover a percentage of your bill if you are of working age and up to 100 percent if you are of pensionable age. If you are on a low income and require help with your Council Tax bill, please start a new claim today.
Please note: This application is for new claims only and you must have an email address to proceed with the online claim.
Use the GOV.UK benefits calculator to find out what benefits you may be entitled to and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.
Completing your application
- The form includes full instructions on how to make claims as well as a list of the evidence and documents that claimants need to provide.
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all our face to face Council Offices are currently closed until further notice to keep both our staff members and the public safe. If you are really unable to provide the information electronically, we would ask that you send the information to the following postal address; South Worcestershire Revenues & Benefits Shared Service, PO Box 11, Pershore, Worcs, WR10 1PU.
If you are struggling to provide information to support your claim using the above options, please contact us on 03004 560 560 to advise.
Please do not wait until you have all your evidence before submitting your claim as you may lose out on benefit.
Payments of Housing Benefits are paid directly into your bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you would need to open a new account. If you are renting from a Housing Association then we are able to pay them directly. Please ensure you advise that you wish for your landlord to be paid directly on your application form to enable us to fulfil this request.
Help to complete your application
Our face to face contact centres are currently closed until further notice due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We will continue to provide support to our customers via our telephone contact centre that is open from 9am – 5pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and 9.30am – 5pm Tuesday except bank holidays.
Please note: We are receiving high volumes of calls currently due to the recent government announcements around Coronavirus. We will endeavour to help and support everyone that we are able to in these unprecedented times but would ask for your patience when contacting our service centre as we are trying our best to answer your enquiry as quickly as possible. Please call 03004 560 560.