The Wychavon Youth Bus provides a mobile facility for young people aged between 8-17. It can be booked to go out to villages across the district to provide a range of activities, information and support for young people.
About the bus
- The Youth bus delivers around 100 sessions each year engaging with over 1000 young people
- We are on the road a few times each week covering over 3000 miles each year
- In the holidays we run extra sessions during the day time while the schools are off
- We work mainly in rural villages, as well as supporting local events
- Our external funding sources include Positive Activities Funding and Police and Crime Commissioner (2014/15) Funding to run the bus
- We’re popular! - receiving positive feedback on the service from young people, parishes and community members
- We take part in a range of community events each year with up to 100 people coming on board to find out more about what we do
What's on the bus?
The youth bus is a converted 57 seater coach offering a seated area, tables, fridge, microwave, built in generator alongside a full respray and window tints, awning and side lights.
The youth bus offers a range of drop in style activities along with a variety of information on a range of topics and issues promoting healthy lifestyles for young people. The bus offers a Wii, Xbox kinect, TV/ DVD, laptops and broadband alongside various art equipment, board games and much more.
Aims of the youth bus
- Provide a multi-use space for children and young people
- Offer a variety of activities, information and support services.
- Provide a safe place for young people predominantly in rural areas and get young people off the streets
- Reduce anti-social behaviour and respond to reports of anti-social behaviour
- Provide a rolling program of support to villages and target areas with the most need
As well as drop in sessions we offer a range of informal educational workshops aimed at those between 13-17years. These cover a range of topics such as drug and alcohol awareness and sexual health. They can also be tailored to the needs of specific groups and locations. The bus also runs a C-Card scheme.
Sessions are planned and designed to meet the needs of young people in local areas to help improve their lives. Workshops include involving a range of agencies to offer sessions such as health, careers, volunteering and drama and media. The bus can also be used to help set up local youth clubs, support volunteers and new youth initiatives in parishes.
Hire costs of the bus
We currently offer two free taster sessions to villages and then the bus can be hired to parishes, local organisations and community groups. The hire costs are mainly to cover the fuel costs of the vehicle and do not cover the actual running costs of the project. Discounts are available for block bookings and also to charitable groups.
|Events (over 2 hours)||£100-150|
|Worcestershire||£150 – 250|
Booking the bus
The bus can be booked via the online form. It is also best to discuss your requirements with the Youth Bus Co-ordinator when planning a bus visit. If your local group or parish council is considering booking the bus then get in touch and we can bring more information to you or arrange a visit to see the bus while it is out and about in the district.
How you can help us:
When we take the bus out into a village, town or youth club it is useful to have people in the community helping to promote and even get involved in the sessions. Below are some of the ways you can help us:
- Promote the bus - Display posters, distribute leaflets and let people know about when the bus will be visiting
- Work as a volunteer as part of the sessions
- Update your local parish council or local community groups
- Help to plan activities and find out what would benefit young people in the area
- Keep people informed in the community about the progress of the bus, what young people think and if they want more visits
- Help to set up a local youth club to provide regular provision for young people in the community.
Here to help you
pdf ‘Here to Help You’ (1.78 MB) is a handy leaflet for 12-18 year olds. Take a look and find out about the different online services that can provide you with lots of information and advice in all areas of life.
Additional information and websites can be found in our pdf 'Here to Help You Directory' (517 KB) .
Youth Bus & Outreach Officer
Community Development Team
Telephone: 01386 565436
Mobile: 07773 031205