Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Community and Living

Planning a village event

If you are planning a village event or celebration then you may find these hints and tips from our Rural Matters Advisory Panel helpful.

COVID-19 restrictions and advice

While all legal Covid-19 restrictions have now been lifted, the virus is still around and there are still things you will need to think about when planning an event.

View Government guidance. While this is mainly for businesses, it does include advice for organisers of indoor and outdoor events, including community events.

Government interactive guide to community events

There are many myths about what you can and cannot do when planning a community event. Read the Government’s interactive guide to community events to find out the facts.

Permits and licences

Temporary Event Notice

If you want to:

  • Sell alcohol.
  • Have entertainment outside the hours of 8am to 11pm.
  • Host an event for more than 500 people.

You will need a Temporary Event Notice. We need at least 10 days notice of your event.

Find out more and apply for a Temporary Event Notice.


If you are planning to hold your own fireworks display then there are lots of things to think about to keep people safe. View Health and Safety Executive guidance on fireworks displays.

If you need more advice then please email Worcestershire Regulatory Services on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Town parks and open spaces

You can hire Wychavon’s parks and open spaces for your event. We need at least 28 days notice before the date of your event so apply early. Read more about how to hire open spaces.

Village open spaces

You can hold events on other pieces of land as long as you have permission from the landowner. Most sports grounds and playing fields will be the responsibility of your parish council or an independent trust. Contacting the parish council clerk is a good first step. Find a list of parish councils and their contact details.

Use of Common land, including village greens

There are some activities you can do on common land without permission. Holding events or festivals is not one of them. You will still need to get permission. Contact your parish council to start with.

Find out more about common land and village greens on the Government's website.

Road restrictions or closure

If you need to close a road for your event then you must apply to us. We need at least six weeks notice.

Apply for a road closure.

Street parties

Street parties are a great way of getting people together and are not as hard to organise as you may think. Visit our Street Party Guidance page for more information.

Event management plan

We strongly recommend you prepare an event management plan. This is a must if you are planning a large event. This will help you think about all the issues and opportunities for your event.

We have produced a template to help you with guidance on insurance, risk assessments and protecting lost children.

Download the event management plan template.

Download our risk assessment template.

Wychavon 50th anniversary logo