We have 64 conservation areas within Wychavon. These are areas of special architectural and historic interest that we wish to preserve or enhance, usually the historic parts of towns and villages.
Proposals for development within a Conservation Area will be assessed to ensure that they will either preserve or enhance the character or appearance (or 'significance') of an area. Proposals will be determined against policies contained in the Adopted Wychavon District Local Plan, in particular policy ENV12.
Regard will also be had to national guidance contained in the NPPF.
Properties in some conservation areas are protected by Article 4(2) Directions. This means that at these properties planning permission is needed for works that could otherwise be done without permission, so that the character and appearance of the conservation area will be preserved. The works brought under planning control are usually new, and alterations to existing, doors and windows, and in some cases other works such as change of roofing materials, removal of boundaries and laying of hardstanding.
Conservation Area Review
We are committed to a programme of review of all the conservation areas in Wychavon. In consultation with local residents we are
- reviewing conservation area boundaries to take make sure they continue to be relevant to the present day
- carrying out conservation area character appraisals to explain the special interest of each of the conservation areas
- considering the introduction of extra planning controls to preserve the special character of our conservation areas
Comment on current conservation area reviews
We are reviewing the Aldington conservation area to ensure it continues to protect this important location.
Aldington was first designated a conservation area in 1975, so this will be its first review in over 40 years.
As part of the review a new boundary is being proposed. This will extend the conservation area to cover additional land considered to contribute to the historic character of the village, as well as rationalising some areas which have changed over the years.
We are inviting people to comment on these changes, the details of which can be found in the draft Character Appraisal and Management Plan. Proposed boundary changes are shown on the boundary review map
Come along to the public meeting on Wednesday 16th January, from 6pm at The Manor, Aldington to find out more about the proposals and ensure that Aldington's conservation area designation remains an important planning tool, helping to control new developments and influence their design.
The public consultation runs from 14th January to 1st March 2019. During the consultation period you can submit your comments through our online feedback form.
We are reviewing the Beckford Conservation Area, first designated in 1972; this will be its first review in over 40 years.
The review is considering whether the boundary as drawn then is still appropriate. To accompany the boundary review map, a Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan are being drafted to explain the special interest of the area and to safeguard its future preservation and enhancement.
We are inviting people to comment on these changes during the consultation period from Monday 4th February 2019 until Friday 15th March 2019.
Come along to the public meeting on Wednesday 6th February, from 6pm at The Beckford Inn, Beckford, to find out more about the proposals and ensure that Beckford’s Conservation Area designation remains an important planning tool.
During the consultation period you will be able to submit your comments via our online feedback form.
The Heritage Team
- advises on development proposals in conservation areas
- designates and reviews conservation area boundaries
- prepares and publishes conservation area character appraisals to explain the special interest of the conservation areas
- we offer pre-application advice to potential applicants on the likelihood of getting permission for development in a conservation area, Guidance on Pre-application Advice and
- are consulted on planning and conservation area consent applications to advise on the appropriateness of development proposals in conservation areas
- Please click here Pre-application form for further information on this service.
For further information contact
Planning Support Officers 01386 565565
- Planning Application Forms, Fees, and Checklists
- Conservation Areas - Guide for Owners and Occupiers
- Find out if a property is in a Conservation Area or has Article 4(2) Direction
Conservation Area Character Appraisals -
- Abbots Morton
- Ashton under Hill
- Bredons Norton
- Broad Marston
- Broadway (part 1)
- Broadway (part 2)
- Cleeve Prior
- Evesham (part 1)
- North and Middle Littleton
North and Middle Littleton (new Boundaries)
- Pershore (part 1)
- Upton Warren
- Accessible Historic Environment - Supplementary Planning Document
- Listed Buildings - a Guide for Owners and Occupiers
- English Heritage