Council Tax Support changes

All working age people who receive Council Tax Support in Wychavon will pay at least 20% of their Council Tax bill. This will mean that no one will get 100% discount on their Council Tax bill.

What is Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support is the system under which councils give discounts on Council Tax bills to help people who have a low income.  It used to be called Council Tax Benefit.

How much will I have to pay?

Your bill will tell you exactly how much you have to pay each month and how to pay it and you will receive your Council Tax bill in March.

Who is affected by the changes?

All working age people who receive Council Tax Support will have to pay some of their Council Tax bill.  The government has said that pensioners must be protected, so they will be unaffected by the changes.

Why are we making the changes?

The benefits system, along with government funding for it, changed in April 2013. We now get less money from the government to pay for Council Tax Support so we have been forced to make changes. Last year we ran a consultation to get views on a range of possible changes to our scheme. The changes we have made are based on responses to the consultation.

What do I need to do?

You don't need to take any action until you receive your Council Tax bill.  When you get your bill you need to arrange for it to be paid.  Details about how to do this are with your bill. It is important that you pay your installments on time. The easiest way to pay is via direct debit. 

Want to pay over 12 months?

Most bills are paid over 10 months, however you can choose to pay over 12 months.  If you would like to pay your bill over 12 months please e-mail or write to Revenues and Benefits, PO Box 11, Pershore, WR10 1PU providing your name, address and Council Tax number (if you know it).

I'm worried about how to pay

If you are worried about how you will be able to pay your bill or need advice on managing money the following websites may be able to help you:

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Money Advice Service

I can't afford to pay, what can I do?

Contact us straight away.

Is there any extra help for people who are struggling to pay?

For residents suffering from extreme, short-term financial hardship we may be able to offer limited short-term help through our Exceptional Hardship Fund.

You can apply for this after you have received your bill by e-mailing or writing to Vic Allison, Deputy Managing Director, Queen Elizabeth Drive, Pershore, WR10 1PT and providing a brief description of your short-term hardship.  We may ask you to fill out a form and provide supporting evidence of your hardship.

Are other Council Tax discounts and exemptions affected?

Second Adult Rebate stopped from 1 April 2014. It will no longer be possible to backdate claims for Council Tax Support.  Payments will only be made from the date a claim is made.  Other discounts and exemptions are not affected by the changes to the scheme.

Will the changes affect how much Housing Benefit I get?


Where can I go for advice and help?

If you have any questions about the changes to Council Tax Support or need advice about anything related to Council Tax you can contact us by e-mail to or ring  us on 03004 560 560