Housing Benefit

If you or someone who lives with you are on a low income you may be able to receive Housing Benefit to help you pay rent for your home.

Housing Benefit financially covers both housing association rents and privately rented accommodation. Use the benefits calculator to find out what benefits you may be entitled to, how to claim and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.

You can claim Housing Benefit if any of these apply:

  • Anyone with a low income treated as having a genuine legal responsibility for rent.
  • You have reached State Pension Age
  • If you have savings of £16,000 or less
  • You have more than 2 children that you receive Child Benefit for
  • You are in council placed emergency housing or certain types of exempt or specified accommodation
  • You do not have to be in receipt of another state benefit to apply for this award.

If you are in any doubt whether you would be awarded Housing Benefit, submit a claim anyway. If the rules do not allow you to apply for the award, we will write to you and explain why.

What information will I have to provide?

  • You will be required to provide proof of all recent income and savings for all the members of your family
  • You must provide evidence of all income even if that income is another State Benefit
  • Employers certificate of earnings (only to be used when you do not receive proper payslips from your employer)
  • You will also need to provide evidence of identity for both you and your partner, to prove that you are who you claim to be and that you are actually living at the address on your application form.
  • If you are renting from a private landlord you must provide evidence that you are being charged rent and that the arrangement is legally binding and has not been created specifically to obtain housing benefit.
  • Proof of rent form (only to be used when you do not have a proper tenancy agreement)
  • If you have a ‘non-dependant', you are required to provide proof of their income as well.

How to apply

Apply now to find out if you qualify for Housing Benefit. You will receive a notification as soon as you apply to tell that we have received your application.

You can apply by completing the online claim form. Once you have completed the form you will see an evidence checklist which lists documents we need to assess your claim.

You can e-mail the evidence required to benefits@southworcestershirerevenues.gov.uk quoting your claim number in the subject heading, or you can hand in your documents at any of our contact centres in DroitwichEvesham or Pershore

Application support

If you have difficulty completing an online claim, you can seek help from our Housing Benefits team


Payments of Housing Benefits are paid directly into your bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you would need to open a new account. You can seek advice from any of our contact centres in DroitwichEvesham or Pershore.

Benefit Cap

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have the sole responsibility for calculating whether a benefit cap will apply to you. The council administers the cap by reducing your Housing Benefit payments. The council has no discretion whether or not to apply the cap.

The cap is a limit on the total amount of benefit that people of working age can receive.  The benefit cap means that working age claimants will be paid no more in benefits than the average of the net earned income of working households, even if their full entitlement would otherwise be higher. 

More information on the Benefit Cap including who it does and does not affect along with a Benefit Cap calculator, can be found by using the following link: www.gov.uk/benefit-cap

Useful links