Housing standards

Our aim is to improve the housing standards for residents that are privately renting within the Wychavon district. We will achieve this by advising tenants, carrying out housing inspections and providing support to owners, leaseholders and landlords. Read our strategy

If you have a concern about a repair that is needed on your property, you should let your landlord/ housing officer or repairs team know in the first instance. By letting them know about the problem, you are providing the opportunity for the repair to be fixed. You should take note of the complaint details, such as the date and details.

If you do not receive a satisfactory response please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01386 565341 or privatesectorhousing@wychavon.gov.uk for further advice (Social housing tenants, work with your housing association thoroughly before contacting the Private Sector Housing department).

Complaints procedure

  1. If appropriate, the Property Standards Officer will visit your property after notifying your landlord of the complaint. It may not always be practicable to notify the landlord, as there may be emergency situations that need to be acted upon immediately.
  2. During this visit, your property will be inspected and assessed using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) guide. The risk assessments are based on the likelihood of an incident causing harm and what the severity of that outcome would be. The result of the assessment will determine the next step for the complaint.
Where possible we try to improve the standards of the property by working with the landlord, owner or leaseholder. However in some circumstances it is necessary to take formal action. This includes:

  • A Hazard Awareness Notice
  • Improvement Notice
  • Prohibition Notice
  • Emergency Remedial Action
  • Demolition Order
  • Designate a Clearance Area

    Please note that there will be a charge of £175.00 for serving formal enforcement notices.
  • As a means to deter ‘rogue landlords’ we can impose civil penalty notices as an alternative to prosecution (introduced by the schedule 9 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016, section 126 which came into force on 6th April 2017).

    The offences that civil penalties can be considered for are:

  • Failure to comply with an improvement notice (Housing Act 2004, section 30)
  • Licensing of HMO’s under Housing Act 2004 Part 2 (Housing Act 2004, section 72)
  • Licensing of houses under Housing Act 2004 Part 3 (Housing Act 2004, section 95)
  • Failure to comply with overcrowding notice (Housing Act 2004, section 139(7)
  • Management regulations in respect of HMO’s (Housing Act 2004, section 234)
  • Breach of a banning order (Housing and Planning Act 2016, section 21)

    As required by the legislation we are required to publicise our process and our charging scales which will be used to calculate the level of the penalty fine, as well as the appeal process. Read the Civil Penalty Notice Policy

  • Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

    Private sector landlords are required by law to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their property. Also where a carbon monoxide alarm is in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal fire, wood burning stove). You can be fined up to £5,000 for not complying to this regulation.

    Landlord and tenant advice

    • Citizens Advice Bureau
    • Worcestershire Regulatory Services –  for advice and complaints regarding odour, noise, bonfires and rodents
    • Client Services 01386 565018 – for advice and complaints regarding refuse collections, bulky waste collections and wheelie bins
    • Homestamp - a range of useful information concerning private renting, from advice and guidance for tenants to technical guides for landlords
    • Building Control 01684 862223

    Useful documents

    Contact us

    Private sector housing
    01386 565631