Some households who become homeless may have different pathways they can follow and will get specialist advice dependent on their situation. Wychavon District Council tries to consider everyone’s individual circumstance to ensure they get the support they need.

More information

Use the links below to find the information you need:

I am fleeing domestic abuse, who can help me?

If you are fleeing Domestic Abuse, we have a duty to support you to flee to emergency accommodation. This might be a Refuge or Interim Accommodation until we can work together to develop a permanent housing plan for you. Some options could include social housing, private rented accommodation or supported accommodation, depending on your circumstances.

Domestic Abuse is an incredibly scary and distressing situation. Housing Needs Advisors can support you to get the right support so you can work through the emotional impact of Domestic Abuse.

Support might include help from services like the National Domestic Abuse helpline website or Women's Aid website. This might also include local support services like the Dawn Project. Visit Domestic Abuse Working Network page on Worcester Community Trust website

I am a care leaver and I am homeless

Depending on your age and circumstances, we can help you with your accommodation and finances, as well as advice on how to live independently.

To qualify for the most help, you must have spent a total of 13 weeks in care from the age of 14. This must include at least a day when you were 16 or 17.

Help from the council's children’s services department can start when you turn 16 and last until you’re 21, or until you finish training or higher education.

As a care leaver aged between 18 and 20, you’ll be in priority need for emergency housing from the council’s housing department if you’re facing homelessness.

This applies even if you spent as little as 1 night in care when you were 16 or 17.

If you’re a 16 or 17-year-old care leaver and are homeless, the council will probably refer you to social services. But the housing department must provide you with emergency accommodation until children’s services can find you somewhere to live.

I am homeless and am or have previously been in the armed forces

The government has made a commitment to support ex-forces. It is committed to ensuring that service personnel, veterans and their families have the support they need and are treated with the dignity they deserve.

To deliver this commitment, the Armed Forces Covenant outlines the positive measures being taken by government to ensure that the Armed forces community face no disadvantage, compared to other citizens in the provision of public and commercial services.

View Armed Forces Covenant website

I am about to leave hospital but I don’t have anywhere to go

You should tell the hospital nursing staff as soon as possible, so that they know that you will be homeless when you are discharged. They will ask the hospital discharge team to help if they can.

The discharge team may refer you to our housing advice team. We will assess your situation and you may be offered temporary accommodation in certain circumstances. If you are within 56 days of discharge, and have no home to return to, our housing options team will support you whilst we decide if we have a duty to re-house you. We’ll also offer you advice and support.

I am about to be released from prison but don’t have anywhere to go

If you in prison and don’t have anywhere to go when you are released, you should let the prison team know as soon as possible. Most prisons have a housing advice and resettlement service called Through the Gate which is set up to help you find a suitable housing option when you are released from prison.

You can also apply for the grants before release; these include a £46.00 discharge grant or a £50 grant towards your first nights accommodation. You should let the prison team know as soon as possible if you want to access this.

If you are not allowed to stay at your old address because of your offence, prison staff may refer you to the Bail Accommodation Support Scheme who will help you find an address that is suitable. You can also contact NACRO’s Resettlement Advice Line on 03001231999 for further advice.

Our Housing Advisors will support you to understand both your emergency and long term options. We will work closely with probation and prison teams to support you to find a suitable accommodation offer.

I am over the age of 55 and am threatened with homelessness or homeless

If you are over the age of 55, you are eligible to apply for accommodation that is sheltered. Sheltered housing is accommodation specifically designed for older people to allow them to live independently.

It usually consists of self-contained flats with communal facilities. In most cases, it’s available to people aged over 60, although some schemes may be open to those over 55 years old. When used exclusively for older people, it’s sometimes called retirement housing. If the accommodation is part of a care home complex, it's also known as close care.

Housing Advisors will support you to apply for Sheltered Accommodation via our Housing Register, Home Choice Plus. You can read some more information on how this works on the Home Choice Plus website.