Our aim is to improve the housing standards for residents that are living within the Wychavon district. We will achieve this by advising tenants and occupiers, carrying out housing inspections and providing support.

If you are a tenant and have a concern about a repair that is needed on your property, you should notify your landlord or repairs team in the first instance. By letting them know about the problem, you are providing the opportunity for the repair to be resolved. You should take note of the date you reported the repair. Please be aware that your landlord may experience some problems getting trades people out to you quickly due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Officers are still available to work with you and your landlord to help resolve issues with defects to your property over the telephone during this outbreak. Until further notice we will not be carrying out inspections of properties in person, unless there is an imminent high risk to any occupant and taking into account your personal circumstances, such as if you are currently in self isolation or one of the vulnerable groups.

You can contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01386 565631 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Property complaint procedure

  1. If your repair issue remains unresolved contact the Property Standards Officer who will visit your property after notifying your landlord of the correspondence. It may not always be practicable to notify the landlord, as there may be emergency situations that need to be acted upon immediately.
  2. During this visit, your property will be inspected and assessed using the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS). The risk assessments are based on the likelihood of an incident causing harm and the severity. The result of the assessment will determine the next step for the customer. Read housing, health and safety rating system guidance on GOV.UK


Where possible we try to improve the standards of the property by working with the landlord, owner or leaseholder. However in some circumstances it is necessary to take formal action. This may include:

  • A Hazard Awareness Notice
  • Improvement Notice
  • Prohibition Notice
  • Emergency Remedial Action
  • Demolition Order
  • Designate a Clearance Area

Please note that there will be a charge of £175.00 for serving formal enforcement notices.

Civil penalty notice

As a means to deter ‘rogue landlords’ we can impose civil penalty notices as an alternative to prosecution (introduced by the schedule 9 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016, section 126 which came into force on 6th April 2017).

The offences that civil penalties can be considered for are:

  • Failure to comply with an improvement notice (Housing Act 2004, section 30)
  • Licensing of HMO’s under Housing Act 2004 Part 2 (Housing Act 2004, section 72)
  • Licensing of houses under Housing Act 2004 Part 3 (Housing Act 2004, section 95)
  • Failure to comply with overcrowding notice (Housing Act 2004, section 139 (7)
  • Management regulations in respect of HMO’s (Housing Act 2004, section 234)
  • Breach of a banning order (Housing and Planning Act 2016, section 21)

As set out in legislation we are required to publicise our process and our charging policy which is used to calculate the level of the penalty fine. pdf Please read the Civil Penalty Notice Policy (1.70 MB) .

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Private sector landlords are required by law to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their property. As well as  where there is a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal fire, wood burning stove). You can be fined up to £5,000 for not complying to this regulation.

Landlord and tenant advice

Useful documents

Contact us

Private sector housing
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
01386 565631