Household planning permission

Residential Permitted Development - Single Storey rear extensions

For a period of three years, between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2016, householders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development (subject to other requirements as set out in the Advice Notes).  The size limits will double from up to four metres to up to eight metres for detached houses, and from up to three metres to up to six metres for all other houses or exceed 4 metres in height (to eaves).

These new permitted development rights do not apply to properties on Article 1(5) land which includes Conservation Areas and the Wychavon District Council Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) as well as Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). 

These new larger extensions (i.e. if they extend between four and eight metres, or between three and six metres) must go through the following process if they are to be considered under permitted development rights (an application for planning permission can still be made at any time).

There is no fee for this but please fill out and return the form to us after reading our advice note.

Household planning permission

Household planning rules are complicated but there are tools we can recommend to help you work out if you do need to apply for it.  These tools will help you decide if you need to apply for permission.  They do not, however, give you a definitive source of legal information.  If you have any questions, please contact us.

In addition, there is a host of information on your responsibilities as a householder on the Planning Portal.  The Planning Portal is the Government's online service for planning.

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are two separate things.

Do I need permission ?

Some extensions and alterations to your home can be carried out without requiring planning permission; this is known as permitted development.

For further information on whether you will need planning permission, please visit our Permitted development page

Interactive guide

Interactive guides on the Planning Portal help you explore how to progress common householder projects

If you do require planning permission it is really worthwhile reading the 'Get it right first time' information pack below:

Applying for Planning Permission

Applying for Planning Permission ?  Get it right first time.  Information Pack

The easy-to-understand guide has been launched to help householders who would like to build, alter or extend their property - who have never had to deal with the planning process before.

Many planning applications are rejected immediately because they do not include basic information or meet the rules and legislation requirements.

We hope "Applying for Planning Permission? Get it right first time" leaflet will help in taking you through the steps, if you are newcomer to the planning process.

It is recommended the guidance is read in conjunction with the relevant planning application forms below: 

1  Householder Application

2  Householder & demolition in a Conservation Area(conservation area consent required only when demolition is involved)

3  Householder & Listed Building