Last night Council agreed 14 new promises on new and exciting areas and froze Council Tax for the Wychavon section of the bill. This will mean an average band D property will pay just £120.08 a year for Wychavon services.
Council Leader, Cllr. Linda Robinson also made a new announcement for the council to reduce its use of single-use plastics.
Cllr. Linda Robinson, Leader of Wychavon said “On top of the freeze to Council Tax and the exciting new promises for the year ahead, we felt it was important to make a commitment to reducing our use of single-use plastics as a council.”
New promises will also sit under the priorities of people, place and prosperity and were formulated after extensively reviewing data, consultation feedback and workshop sessions - to consider what would best serve the residents of Wychavon.
Among the promises are:
- Work with partners to establish multi-sports hubs for Droitwich Spa, Evesham and Pershore.
- Tackle social mobility in the district by holding a summit with partners. Initial fund of £30,000 - with the potential for further funding and actions.
- A three year promise to tackle littering and use of plastics.
- Extra support for people facing Universal Credit and those who are at risk of becoming homeless.
- More stretching targets and increased funding for apprenticeships.
- Improving opportunities for green travel such as car charging points and more cycle routes.
- Installing adult changing spaces in public toilets.
- Promoting self build and custom build properties.
- Doing more to promote tourism and get more overnight stays in the district.
- Launching a village of culture competition.
Cllr. Robinson continued “2018/19 is set to be a really exciting year for us. We’re freezing Council Tax without sacrificing services and we’ve got ambitious promises. It certainly is an exciting year ahead.”