Crowdfunding scheme supporting community response to Covid-19
Residents are being urged to donate whatever they can to a range of community projects supporting the ongoing response to the Covid-19 crisis.
Wychavon has launched Crowdfund WYCHAVON in partnership with crowdfunding platform Spacehive. It offers a way to raise funds rapidly by connecting people with local causes. Anyone can back a campaign with as little as £2 and can do so safely online.
Wychavon has made a pot of £25,000 available to support up to 50% of the cost of projects up to a maximum of £5,000. Donations from the public and businesses make up the rest of the required total.
The projects already being funded include:
- Evesham Community Prescriptions Delivery which needs £475 to prepare and equip volunteer drivers to collect essential medical supplies from pharmacies and deliver them safely and securely to people. Wychavon has donated £200 to take the project 87% of the way towards its target.
- In its 50th year, the St Andrew's Centre in Pershore needs £2,007 to upgrade its lighting to make it more environmentally friendly and cut running costs so it can continue to serve the community. They are 27% of the way towards their target with a £200 pledge from Wychavon.
- Droitwich Spa CVS is hoping to raise £9,282 to help the community recover from Covid-19 by continuing to support the vulnerable and isolated. Wychavon has provided £4,270 which has helped the charity pass the half-way point.
- Wallace House Community Centre in Evesham is fundraising to help provide emergency support boxes to people in the community who have fallen on financial difficulties due to the current crisis. They are hoping to raise £544 and Wychavon has donated £200 towards the cause.
One project has already successfully raised the money it needs using the platform.
Resettlement of refugees in Evesham needed £552 to provide help to Syrian refugees to integrate into society. Wychavon donated £200 and with the support of the public, the project has smashed its fund-raising total with more than £800 pledged.
- Each project only has until a certain date to reach their target so urgent support is needed.
Cllr Bradley Thomas, Leader of Wychavon District Council, said: "The community response to the pandemic was exceptional. Now as we begin the process of recovery we need our communities to continue that support.
"Crowdfund WYCHAVON is just one way people can do that. By giving whatever you can, you can help ensure that support continues for the most vulnerable and those hardest hit by this pandemic.
"Using crowdfunding allows us to use our resources to greatest effect by supporting as many projects as possible. It's not about one person or organisation giving a lot, it's about a lot of people giving as much as they can to collectively make a difference."
Spacehive is a funding platform that brings together people, businesses, councils and foundations to collaboratively fund projects that communities want.
Chris Gourlay, Founder and CEO of Spacehive, said: "We find ourselves in an extraordinary situation – one which is placing huge strain on communities across the UK. As a country, we have the ideas, resources and community spirit to make things better, when the spaces that bring us together will be more important than ever."
To donate or find out more about any of the projects visit www.spacehive.com/movement/worcs/projects
These efforts mark the start of an exciting new crowdfunding initiative coming soon across Worcestershire, which will put the local community at the heart of the strategy to help the district become more vibrant, resilient and build back better.
Anyone who would be interested in adding their own project to the platform, should visit www.spacehive.com/create