We have 64 conservation areas within Wychavon. These are areas of special architectural and historic interest that we wish to preserve or enhance, usually the historic parts of towns and villages.
Proposals for development within a Conservation Area will be assessed to ensure that they will either preserve or enhance the character or appearance (or 'significance') of an area. Proposals will be determined against policies contained in the Adopted Wychavon District Local Plan, in particular policy ENV12.
Regard will also be had to national guidance contained in the pdf National Planning Policy Framework (593 KB) document.
Properties in some conservation areas are protected by Article 4(2) Directions. This means that at these properties planning permission is needed for works that could otherwise be done without permission, so that the character and appearance of the conservation area will be preserved.
The works brought under planning control are usually new, and alterations to existing, doors and windows, and in some cases other works such as change of roofing materials, removal of boundaries and laying of hardstanding.
Conservation Area Review
We are committed to a programme of review of all the conservation areas in Wychavon. In consultation with local residents we are
- Reviewing conservation area boundaries to take make sure they continue to be relevant to the present day
- Carrying out conservation area character appraisals to explain the special interest of each of the conservation areas
- Considering the introduction of extra planning controls to preserve the special character of our conservation areas
- We offer pre-application advice to potential applicants on the likelihood of getting permission for development in a conservation area, pdf Guidance on Pre-application Advice (3.63 MB) and are consulted on planning and conservation area consent applications to advise on the appropriateness of development proposals in conservation areas
- Please read the Advice and Guidance page for further information on this service.
For further information contact
Planning Support Officers: 01386 565565
The Heritage Team
Advises on development proposals in conservation areas
Designates and reviews conservation area boundaries
Prepares and publishes conservation area character appraisals to explain the special interest of the conservation areas
- Find out if a property is in a Conservation Area or has Article 4(2) Direction: