Planning rules are complicated but there are tools we can recommend to help you work out if you do need to apply for it.  They do not, however, give you a definitive source of legal information.

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are two separate things.

Do I need planning permission?

Some developments can be carried out without requiring planning permission; this is known as Permitted Development. The Planning Portal website provides advice and guidance on common projects.

Planning Portal common projects

If you are still unsure as to whether or not your development requires planning permission we offer a Permitted Development enquiry service. Please note this service will incur a fee.

Submit a Permitted Development enquiry

If you are unable to complete your enquiry online, please download the document "Do I need planning permission?" enquiry form (47 KB) document . (47 KB)

In some cases where planning permission is not required you may still need building regulations.

Please check with South Worcestershire Building Control by email using This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Alternatively, you may find this pdf information pack (3.68 MB)  useful.

Dropped kerbs and crossovers

Planning will be required if the proposed access sits on a classified road. To find out click on the Worcestershire County Council (Classified and Unclassified roads) website and click on "Download now" open to find the road.

Even if planning permission is required or not, to create a new or extend a dropped kerb or pavement/verge crossing you will still need to contact Ringway Infrastructure Services for the works to be done. 

Please note: Irrespective of whether you require planning permission for a dropped kerb, consent will always be required from Ringway Infrastructure Services, Highways House, Warndon Depot, Pershore Lane, Warndon, Worcestershire, WR4 0AA  Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  Tel: 01905 751651. For a drop kerb or pavement/verge crossing, an application will need to be made to Ringway Infrastructure Services to construct the vehicle access..

Pre-application advice

If you know you require planning permission for your development we can provide you with advice before you submit a full planning application. Please note this service will incur a fee.

Submit a pre-application advice request


From 19 July 2021, pre-application advice applications will have their fee refunded where the applicant commits to and delivers on;

  • The installation of a low carbon/renewable energy technology on an existing building (solar panels, heat pumps etc).
  • Householder developments that include the installation of low carbon/renewable energy technology (e.g. extensions with a solar panel etc) that exceed the policy/regulatory requirements in operation at that time.

To request a refund, please email the Planning Support Team at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with details of the pre-application advice application, the relative planning application and a signed letter stating which of the above points you committed to and the date of completion.

Table of fees

* The fee has been waived for new and expanding businesses that create employment opportunities.

Proposed Development Type Fee (inc VAT) Fee for additional meetings (each) (incl VAT)
Residential Development* Development Site Area Proposed Gross Floor Area**    
1-4 dwellings Less than 0.5ha

500mor less

£331.10 £133.60
5-9 dwellings 0.6 - 0.99ha 501 - 999m2 £662.75 £133.60
10-49 dwellings 1.0 - 1.25ha 1000 - 2499m2 £1310.90 £660.50
50-199 dwellings 1.26 - 2.0ha 2,500 - 9,999m2 £2629.80 £994.60
200+ dwellings More than 2ha 10,000m2+ £3945.20



  Fee (inc VAT) Fee for additional meetings (each) (inc VAT)


£69.50 £37.40
Change of Use £197.70 £101.65
Telecommunications £197.70 £101.65
Glasshouses/ Poly Tunnels £292.55 £133.60
Householder Development £48.05 N/A
Other*** £133.60 £69.50


* includes one-for-one replacements and conversions/ subdivisions.
** measured externally.
*** includes all other development proposals not falling within any of the above categories such as variation or removal of conditions, car parks and roads and certificates for lawfulness.

  • Where a development proposal falls within one or more category, the higher fee will apply.
  • Payment should be made at the time of the pre-application advice request.
  • Read the pdf charging for pre-application advice (5.26 MB)  document for further advice.

If you are unable to complete your pre-application advice form online, please download the document Request for Pre-Application Advice form (126 KB)

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulation 2004 we may receive a request to provide information regarding enquiries for pre-application advice. Requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis and may involve some information to be released. We may contact you if such a request is received.