Recycling In Schools
We have made it a priority to get recycling into schools. We want to encourage a lifestyle in our children, young people and communities that isn't wasteful. Recycling is one practical way to build a healthy respect for our environment.
We currently offer a free recycling collection service for schools in the district; larger schools may also have a card/paper bank. We have been fortunate enough to be able to offer this service free of charge by tying it in with our domestic recycling collection service. It does have a cost to the district, but the benefits to educate far outweigh the cost.
Recycling collection service for schools:
- Schools are provided with a green wheeled bin for recycling materials.
- The collection takes place on the same day as the domestic recycling collection in the area, on an alternate weekly basis.
- Recycling should be placed loose (not in sacks) in the green bin.
What can be recycled?
- Paper & cardboard
- Glass jars and bottles (no lids)
- Plastic bottles & containers (no lids)
- Tin / Aluminium cans and aerosols
To aid the sorting process at the recycling facility, all of these items need to be clean, empty of liquid/food and kept whole, not squashed.
What happens to the recycling once collected from schools?
The recycling materials are collected by our contractor FCC Environment (UK) Ltd (formerly FOCSA) and taken to Worcestershire County Council's state of the art recycling facility Envirosort which is managed on their behalf by Severn Waste Services.
Number of schools in Wychavon currently using this recycling scheme:
- 50 primary/first schools recycling with us, 49 with the collection service and 1 just uses a paper/card bank
- 9 middle schools recycling with the collection service
- 2 secondary schools have taken up the recycling collection service as well as using paper/card banks. The other two are interested in taking up the service
- 6 private schools recycle with the collection service
- 11 other educational establishments such as pre schools, youth centres, colleges and also Bishops Wood Environmental Education Centre
For information on recycling in schools contact:
Tel: 01386 565197