Street Naming and Numbering

All personal data held is processed in accordance with Data Protection Law. For more information please see our privacy notice on our website.

Official Address Application Request Form

Request a change of name / name to a numbered property here.

General Procedures

Streets are named and buildings are allocated numbers when they are first built and then from time to time, to overcome practical difficulties or to accommodate new development, changes have to be made.

This exercise is necessary if properties are to be clearly and readily identified for purposes of delivery of mail, goods, services and more importantly, so that the emergency services can locate premises without delay.

The address database held at Wychavon is maintained to the BS7666 standard of addressing as laid down by Central Government and reflects the geographical location of the property.  We are required to hold our Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG) in this format and submit to the National Land and Property Gazetteer(NLPG) regularly.  This gazetteer is a central database of addresses that will enable the electronic delivery of property based information.  Each property is allocated a Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) and this will enable all information relating to a property to be gathered together.

At Wychavon the following procedures are in place to name and number of new development following a request from the developer:

  • Please note that there will be a penalty charge of £1000 if,  after the street naming and numbering process has taken place, there is a change to the layout.
  • The relevant Parish Councils and Evesham Town Council will be forwarded any suggestions for a street name that has been suggested by the developer to consider when making their own suggestions, then the
    • Recommendation is made known to the developer.
    • If an agreement is not reached between the developer and the Parish Council the Local Member and Planning Port folio holder are advised.
    • The final decision rests with the Planning Portfolio Holder and Head of Housing and Planning.
  • Droitwich and Pershore Town Councils have the responsibility for choosing the new street names for any new developments within their town boundaries, in accordance with the agreed street naming protocol. Any street names contrary to the street naming protocol need the approval of Wychavon District Council.
  • The numbering is submitted to the developer for agreement.
  • The postcode is requested from Royal Mail
  • The agreed street name is notified to the Statutory Authorities and consultees.
  • The internal departments of Wychavon are notified.
  • The developer is sent details to inform new purchasers.
  • An estimate for the provision of the street signs is sent to the developer
  • On receipt of payment from the Developer the signs are order and the developer erects them.

It is the responsibility of the owners and occupiers to ensure that the number allocated to a property is clearly marked in such a way so that it is in a prominent position and remains legible from the street. The number will always be retained even when owners and occupiers choose to give a name to their property

Single New Developments

For a new dwelling that is not situated on a numbered road the new owner  should supply a name for consideration. The owner will be the new owner of the property and not the developer, unless the developer and the eventual owner of the property are the same. The choice of name should be checked with surrounding properties to ensure no duplication, which will also be checked when received by us.  We will contact Royal Mail to see if they have knowledge of a similar named property in the locality. We check our information systems and if the name is satisfactory, then the new address is registered and confirmation sent to the owner accordingly. If there is an issue with the  preferred name, we will request alternatives.

The address is then registered with  Royal Mail, Emergency and Essential Services and internal departments of Wychavon. It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts etc.

If the new property falls within a numbered street then a number will be allocated. If the property is within a numbered road, then ABCs are used along with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C...).

It is the responsibility of the house owner to display the house name or number clearly.


Addition of A Name To A Numbered Property

Should you wish to add a name to a numbered property you will need to contact the Council.  Please check the surrounding area carefully to ensure there is no duplication  and then write to us enclosing a plan showing the boundary of the property and the name chosen.  The property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence; for example:

'My House'
1 My Road

The address will then then be registered with Royal Mail. statutory authorities and the relevant internal departments of Wychavon.

If you wish to register a new address or make changes to your address as described above please complete the form below and return it to us .

Official Address Application Request Form


Re-Numbering/Renaming of Existing Streets

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • there is confusion over a street's name and/or numbering
  • a group of residents are unhappy with their street name
  • new properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties
  • the number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors, the delivery or emergency services.

Re-numbering of a street - existing residents will be contacted and their views taken into account. We will then consult the Royal Mail for their position on the issue. To change a street name we will contact the Parish/Town Council so that a consultation exercise can be carried out.  After this exercise a site notice will be posted on the  end of that street for a period of 21 days to inform residents of the proposed change and also advising any objectors that they have the right to appeal to the Magistrates Court. Depending on whether an appeal has been lodged and the outcome of that appeal, the Site Notice will be replaced with an Order confirming the street name change.

This a very time consuming process and we are only able to deal with one of these issues at any time. However if you think you have a street naming issue, please contact us at the address below.

Provision of Street Name Plates

The Council is responsible for ensuring that street name plates are provided and fitted in suitable positions.  The statutory requirement is for a sign to be placed at the start and end of a road and it is vital in the event of an urgent situation that you and your street can be located quickly by the Emergency Services.

The Council is also responsible for repair and maintenance of street name plates when this becomes necessary either due to accidental damage, vandalism or normal wear and tear.

In the case of a new development however, the developer is required to provide and erect  the initial street name plates.  These are purchased to the Council's specification and the costs are covered by the developer.  They are then maintained by the Council.

The funding available for the maintenance of street name plates is limited and therefore a list of works is maintained and the repair and replacement is on a priority basis.  There are a number of signs which are old but if they remain legible will not be replaced immediately.

To report damaged, missing or illegible street names plates please use the contact details below.

For more information contact:

Corporate Database Telephone: 01386 565456


Further Information

Official Address Application Request Form