We undertake a range of activities in schools to promote waste reduction, recycling and look at other waste issues.
We also work with County Council to support schools as they work towards becoming Sustainable/Eco Schools.
We have made it a priority to get recycling into schools. We want to encourage a lifestyle in our children, young people and communities that isn't wasteful. Recycling is one practical way to build a healthy respect for our environment.
We currently offer a free recycling collection service for schools in the district; larger schools may also have a card/paper bank.
We have been fortunate enough to be able to offer this service free of charge by tying it in with our domestic recycling collection service. It does have a cost to the district, but the benefits to educate far outweigh the cost.
Recycling collection service for schools:
- Schools are provided with a green wheeled bin for recycling materials.
- The collection takes place on the same day as the domestic recycling collection in the area, on an alternate weekly basis.
- Recycling should be placed loose (not in sacks) in the green bin.
What can be recycled?
- Paper & cardboard
- Glass jars and bottles (no lids)
- Plastic bottles & containers (no lids)
- Tin / Aluminium cans and aerosols
To aid the sorting process at the recycling facility, all of these items need to be clean, empty of liquid/food and kept whole, not squashed.
What happens to the recycling once collected from schools?
The recycling materials are collected by our contractor FCC Environment (UK) Ltd (formerly FOCSA) and taken to Worcestershire County Council's state of the art recycling facility Envirosort which is managed on their behalf by Severn Waste Services.
Number of schools in Wychavon using this service
- 50 primary/first schools recycling with us, 49 with the collection service and 1 just uses a paper/card bank
- 9 middle schools recycling with the collection service
- 2 secondary schools have taken up the recycling collection service as well as using paper/card banks. The other two are interested in taking up the service
- 6 private schools recycle with the collection service
- 11 other educational establishments such as pre schools, youth centres, colleges and also Bishops Wood Environmental Education Centre.
Commercial Waste Collection For Schools
We can provide a commercial waste collection service for schools and are able to offer this at a reduced price, in line with our charity rates. This service is run separately from the domestic recycling service.
- Ideal for the waste that can't be recycled, as this waste goes to landfill.
- Schools can choose frequency of collection; most commercial customers have a collection once or twice a week.
- Schools can have as many bins as needed, most schools use 1100 litre bins.
- A site visit by one of our officers will be arranged to give advice and check access suitability.
- Can provide a term time only service, if schools don't need a collection during school holidays.
- A Commercial Waste Agreement/Duty of Care form will need to be completed and first payment paid before the service can start. Download the application form.
- Commercial bin sizes
School catering services
If the school has a catering company preparing meals, this must be treated as a separate entity if they are producing waste. A duty of care/agreement form must be completed and any waste produced must be disposed of in separate bins on site, the charge will be at the full rate.
For more information contact
Wychavon District Council
Telephone: 01386 565197 (9am-5pm Monday - Friday)