What If I Can't Pay?

The most important thing to do if you are having problems paying your council tax is to contact us. The longer you leave it the more costly it's going to be.  Costs and charges can add a lot to your original bill so contact us early to avoid them.

There are a number of things we can look at:

Even if we find that you're not entitled to any discounts, exemptions or benefits we may still be able to help by making a special arrangement with you.

Remember - the sooner you speak to us about your problem the easier it will be for you and us to resolve it.

Independent help and advice

You can contact the following not-for-profit organisations for free confidential and impartial advice, or for details of where to get such advice in your area

Citizens Advice

For advice and information on debt and other topics, visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (address in the phone book) or go to www.adviceguide.org.uk/

National Debtline

Telephone 0808 808 4000 or visit www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/ for debt advice and information

StepChange Debt Charity

For debt advice throughout the UK phone 0800 138 1111 or visitwww.stepchange.org

Money Advice Service

For free, unbiased and easy-to-access money tools,  information and advice, visit www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/ or phone 0300 500 5000 to  speak to a money adviser.


Member centres offer debt advice including specialist advice for minority communities and people with disabilities. For further information phone 0300 777 0107 .