Disability benefits

There are a number of benefits available that can help with the special needs of disabled customers. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people aged 16 to 64, who will be claiming for the first time. For claims already in payment, DLA will still apply.

The introduction of PIP is part of a wider reform of the welfare system. The new benefit will better reflect today's understanding of disability, which has changed significantly in the two decades since DLA was introduced.

PIP includes an assessment of individual needs and aims to make sure financial support is targeted at those who face the greatest challenges to living independently.

Further information on Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is available from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)website.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance (AA) is awarded to applicants who are aged 65 or over when they apply, who need supervision and/or help with personal care because of their illness or disability.

Help must have been needed for at least six months, but there is no qualifying period for a person who is terminally ill.

There are 2 benefit rates:

  • Higher rate for care/supervision needs both day and night
  • Lower rate for care/supervision needs during the day or night

Further information on Attendance Allowance is available from the Department for Work and Pensions website and the Age UK website.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is for people aged 16 and over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person getting Attendance Allowance (either rate) or Personal Independence Payment care component at the middle or upper rate.

The carer must not be in full-time education or (if working) earning more than a certain amount per week after deducting allowable expenses.

Further information can be found on the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) website.

Other help is also available:

Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge scheme is a disabled parking permit that allows people who are registered to park closer to where they need to go. For information on the Blue Badge scheme visit the Disabled Person Car Badge page.

Council Tax reductions

If you, or someone who lives with you, need a room, an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property because you use a wheelchair indoors, you may be entitled to a reduced council tax bill.

For more information see our Discounts and Exemption pages.

Concessionary Fares

Elderly and disabled people are eligible for a concessionary bus pass, find out if you are entitled to a travel concessions pass.

Useful links