What is a caravan?

In law the term caravan includes those which can be towed behind cars, motor homes, static holiday homes and the more modern residential park homes, which often arrive on site in two sections and are then bolted together.

The law covering caravan sites

The law covering caravans is contained in:

  • Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 - This act covers the licensing of caravan sites and the safety, welfare and management conditions which need to be provided.
  • Caravan Sites Act 1968 - This act deals with protection from eviction from residential sites and the maximum dimensions for caravans.
  • The Mobile Homes Act 1983 - This act covers the civil law between site owners and residents on 'protected sites'. A protected site is one which has planning permission for permanent residential use and has been issued with a site licence.

The first two Acts are enforced by us but the Mobile Homes Act may involve County Court action by residents or site owners themselves to resolve any disputes.

Caravan site licences

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land is situated. Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

In order to be eligible to be issued with a licence you must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. In addition licences will not be issued to you if you have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

We can only issue a licence for a new caravan site after the site has received the necessary planning permission and a completed application for a site licence.

Local Authorities are responsible for safeguarding the interests of home owners and the public at large through the licensing regime under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. 

Therefore, in order to ensure compliance with applicable licence conditions , a visit is carried out on any site for which a licence has been requested. What conditions are applicable to any particular site may vary, but will be based on model conditions established by the Act, visit The National Archives website for more information on Model Standards 2008 for Caravan Sites.

We may also agree to the transfer of an existing licence to a new licensee.

An annual fee is required to maintain the licence on any relevant protected site. A relevant protected site is defined as any land to be used as a caravan site other than one where a licence is:

  • Granted for holiday use only
  • In any other way subject to conditions which restrict the usage of the site for the stationing of caravans for human habitation at certain times of the year (such as planning conditions)

Read the Wychavon policy on document Park Home fees (56 KB) .

Apply by post

Your application form should be sent to: Licensing, Wychavon District Council, The Civic Centre, Queen Elizabeth Drive, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 1PT

Download document Caravan Site application form (230 KB)

The current fees for caravan site licences can be found on our Licensing Fees and Charges page.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that we process and consider all applications.