In 2011/12, we set a promise to enable communities to build resilience through promoting bulk purchasing of heating oil and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for households not on a main fuel supply. In the autumn of 2011, we ran a series of local communities energy events to promote the concept to parish councils and wider rural communities.
If you're considering setting up or becoming part of a buying group, you may find the information and contacts below useful.
Why do it?
- It's cheaper - discounts for volume orders and shared delivery.
- Fewer goods vehicles - less vehicles in your village and less carbon dioxide.
- Social cohesion - working together to benefit the community.
Quick tips to setting up a group
- Get interest from other people – social networking, ring rounds, door knocking are all good ways to gauge interest.
- Work out how and who will administer the group and what policies you'll have.
- Establish good communication – website, email and/or phone.
- Minimum order volumes – need to be checked form the outset.
- Accepting deliveries – who will be around?
- When to buy the oil? Will you buy at a fixed time or watch the market? Seasonal trends - it tends to be cheaper to buy in the summer – coordinators should encourage buying then rather than in the more expensive winter months or buying in say November rather than December.
- Safe deliveries – suppliers will need all household details to make safe deliveries – details can be collected through the registration process.
Community First oil buying scheme
Community First has set up a community oil bulk buying scheme to help people living in rural communities reduce their fuel bills. You can join as a new member or as part of an existing oil buying group.
View Community First website:
Phone: 01432 267 820
Pebworth Buying Group
Phone: 01789 720296
View Sedgeberrow Sustainable and Manageable Energy Group website
Phone: 01386 881863